- something (such as a piece of food) that is used to attract fish or animals so they can be caught
- We always use live bait [=worms that are alive] when we fish.
- cheese used for/as bait in mousetraps
- Wait until the fish takes the bait.
- a wide selection of lures and baits
- using bargains as bait for shoppers [=using bargains to attract shoppers]
- The police waited for the bank robbers to take the bait. [=to be tricked into doing the thing that would cause them to be trapped or caught]
- (chiefly Brit) The interviewer kept asking the politician whether he was lying, and he rose to the bait by getting angry.
- She baited the mousetraps with pieces of cheese. = She used cheese to bait the traps.
- baiting hooks with live worms
- a baited hook/trap
- The interviewer kept baiting the politician by asking him whether he was lying.
- to use dogs to make (an animal, such as a bear or bull) angry or afraid