- the condition of being conscious
- She experienced a brief loss of consciousness. = She lost consciousness [=became unconscious] briefly.
- He slowly regained consciousness [=became conscious again; woke up] after the surgery.
- The realization first entered my consciousness when I was a young child.
- The memory was forever etched in her consciousness.
- The medication caused her to enter an altered state of consciousness.
- The events have become part of the national consciousness.
- a crisis that has faded from the public consciousness [=that the public no longer remembers or thinks about]
- awareness or knowledge of something specified
- a magazine that aims to raise the political consciousness of teenagers [=to make teenagers more aware of political issues]
- I was impressed by his consciousness of our situation.
- She developed a strong social consciousness. [=she became aware of important social issues]
- He hopes that he can raise public consciousness of the disease.