Darkness | Mean of darkness in English Dictionary
- a state in which little or no light can be seen
- We tried to find our way through the darkness. [=dark]
- the darkness of the movie theater
- He escaped under cover of darkness. [=while it was dark outside; at night]
- in the early morning darkness = in the darkness of early morning
- We watched the mountains fade into the darkness.
- 12 hours of darkness
- Although the picture was taken in near darkness, you can still see her white dress.
- absolute/complete/total darkness
- The darkness of the clouds warned us that rain was coming.
- the rich darkness of his skin
- The family's secret remained hidden/shrouded in darkness [=secrecy] and mystery.
- evil or wickedness
- They set off to fight the forces/powers of darkness.
- people living in darkness [=ignorance] and sin