- to destroy (a building, bridge, etc.)
- The old factory was demolished to make way for a new parking lot.
- Tons of explosives were used to demolish the building.
- The town hopes to restore the old theater rather than have it demolished.
- The car was demolished in the accident.
- His professional reputation was demolished [=ruined] by the scandal.
- The research demolished several myths about the disease.
- Her study demolished a theory that had gone unquestioned for years.
- We demolished [=devoured] the pie in only a few minutes.
- to defeat (a person or team) easily or completely
- They demolished the other team 51–7.