- to get (money, a salary, etc.) for work that you have done
- She earns a good salary.
- I need to earn some money.
- He will do anything to earn his keep. [=to earn what is needed to support himself]
- She's just trying to earn a living. [=to earn the money needed for food, clothing, etc.]
- He earned a promotion through hard work.
- The team has earned [=gained] a reputation for poor sportsmanship.
- She needs to earn [=gain, win] their trust/respect.
- His hard work earned [=gained] him a promotion.
- Her honesty earned [=gained, won] her their trust/respect.