- a unit of measurement equal to ¹/₃₆ yard or ¹/₁₂ of a foot (2.54 centimeters)
- It measures six inches from top to bottom.
- an insect that is an inch long = an inch-long insect
- I'm five feet, two inches tall. = I'm five foot two (inches).
- The bullet missed my head by inches. [=the bullet came very close to hitting my head]
- I begged him to reconsider, but he wouldn't give/budge an inch. [=he wouldn't make even a slight change in his opinion or attitude]
- I tried to improve the system, but she opposed me every inch of the way. [=she opposed everything that I tried to do]
- We searched every inch of the house. [=we searched the house completely]
- The school is considering allowing older students to leave the campus for lunch on Fridays, but I'm concerned that if we give them an inch, they'll take a mile. [=students will leave campus more often]
- He's every inch a winner. [=he's a winner in every way]
- by moving very slowly
- We made our way inch by inch through the darkened corridor.
- She came within an inch of death/dying. [=she came very close to dying]
- They beat him (to) within an inch of his life. [=they beat him so badly that he nearly died]
- We inched along in heavy traffic.
- As she neared the finish line, she inched ahead of the other racers.
- Gas prices are inching up again.
- I inched the car into the garage.
Những từ liên quan với INCH