- a list of the people who work for a company and the amount of money that the company has agreed to pay them
- They cut him from their payroll.
- She's in charge of the company's payroll department. [=the department that is responsible for paying employees]
- payroll deductions [=money that you earn but is not included in the pay you receive because it is used to pay your taxes, insurance costs, etc.]
- Her company has over 3,000 employees on the payroll.
- He's currently on the payroll of a small law firm.
- He's the manager of a baseball team with a $50 million payroll.
- Businesses are keeping their payrolls low by embracing new technologies.