- to become more lively or cheerful
- We perked up when we heard the good news.
- The good news perked everyone up.
- The new paint job really perked up the room.
- to lift (the ears) in a quick or alert way
- The dog heard its name and perked up its ears.
- The dog perked its ears.
- I perked up my ears [=I began to listen closely] when I heard his name mentioned.
- The dog's ears perked up.
- My ears perked up [=I began to listen closely] when she said she knew my brother.
- The job came with several perks, including use of a company car.
- One of the perks of being a celebrity is that people often want to give you things.