- to keep (someone or something) from being harmed, lost, etc.
- He had no raincoat to protect himself from the rain.
- She keeps her jewelry protected in a safe.
- You have to protect your business against fraud.
- New laws have been passed to protect your privacy.
- The forest is protected by/under federal law.
- The high taxes on imported goods are intended to protect domestic producers.
- Sunscreen helps to protect against sunburn.
- The insurance protects you against flooding.
- The insurance does not protect against damage caused by earthquakes.
- The goalie slipped and fell, but the defenseman was there to protect [=defend] the goal.