- the state of living in a particular place
- He recently ended his residence at the apartment complex.
- Birds have taken up residence [=established a home] in the barn.
- (US) a residence hall = (Brit) a hall of residence [=a place where students live at a college or university]
- a two-story residence
- Police surrounded the residence.
- He spent three months at his summer residence.
- the prime minister's residence
- They were granted/denied residence in this country.
- living in a particular place at a particular time
- The Queen was not in residence at the palace when the fire broke out.
- She is the artist in residence at the museum this summer.