- a situation in which a large group of people behave in a violent and uncontrolled way
- The news about the election caused/started/sparked a riot in the city.
- a prison riot
- A lot of property was damaged in the recent riots.
- riot gear/police
- The field was a riot of wildflowers. [=the field was filled with many kinds of wildflowers]
- The woods are a riot of color in the autumn.
- She's a riot.
- The movie was an absolute riot.
- to speak in an angry and critical way to (someone who has done something wrong)
- His boss read him the riot act for making careless mistakes.
- People were running riot in the streets.
- Crazy thoughts were running riot through my head.
- The weeds have run riot over our poor garden. [=the weeds in our garden have grown quickly and have taken over the garden]
- Students rioted after their team lost the football game.