- the land along the edge of an area of water (such as an ocean, lake, etc.)
- a rocky/sandy shore [=coast]
- Houses were built on the shores of the lake.
- The boat hugged the shore. [=stayed close to the shore]
- We swam to shore.
- The boat was about a mile from shore.
- The boat headed for shore.
- My family came to these shores [=came to this country] 100 years ago.
- The plant was brought to our shores from Europe.
- We arrived on American/British shores.
- They shored up [=propped up] the roof/wall.
- to support or help (something)
- The tax cuts are supposed to shore up the economy.
- The new player should shore up the team's defense.