- right or suited for some purpose or situation
- It's a formal occasion and appropriate attire/dress/clothing is expected. [=you are expected to wear formal clothing]
- Red wine would have been a more appropriate choice with the meal.
- We'll need to find an appropriate [=suitable] place to store the fuel.
- Do you think the movie is appropriate for small children (to see)? = Do you think it's appropriate for small children to see the movie?
- The movie is perfectly/entirely appropriate to/for people of all ages.
- The town has appropriated funds to repair the bridge and work should begin this summer.
- The economy has been weakened by corrupt officials who have appropriated the country's resources for their own use.
- Elements of the design were appropriated from other architects.
- The term “bad” has been appropriated by teenagers as a synonym for “good.”