- a device for slowing or stopping something (such as a wheel or vehicle)
- She released the brake slowly.
- Take your foot off the brake.
- The car will need new brakes soon.
- He slammed/jammed on the brakes [=he applied the brakes very quickly] to avoid hitting the other car.
- brake shoes/fluid
- Take your foot off the brake pedal.
- I didn't notice that the car in front of me had its brake lights on.
- They plan to use interest rates as a brake on spending. [=as a way to slow down spending]
- trying to put the brakes on crime
- I had to brake suddenly when a cat ran in front of the car.
- This car has excellent braking. [=it stops quickly and easily when the brakes are used]