Expand | Mean of expand in English Dictionary
- to increase in size, range, or amount
- The liquid expands and contracts with changes in temperature.
- the expanding universe
- His business has expanded to serve the entire state.
- The coffee shop may expand into a full restaurant.
- He has expanded his business to serve the entire state.
- There are plans to expand the airport.
- The police have decided to expand their investigation.
- She plans to expand the lecture series into a book.
- This trip will give you an opportunity to expand [=broaden] your horizons. [=to learn more about the world]
- expand your knowledge
- Expand the abbreviation “deg.” to “degree.”
- to speak or write about (something) in a more complete or detailed way
- She declined to expand on her earlier statement.
- Please expand [=elaborate] on that idea.
- Researchers will expand upon their data in a new study.