- a sudden strong desire to do something
- He has to learn to control his impulses.
- a natural/creative/sudden impulse
- a generous impulse
- He had to resist the impulse [=urge] to shout.
- My first/initial impulse was to say no.
- He bought a new camera on impulse.
- She quit her job on a sudden impulse.
- The camera was an impulse buy.
- Shopping with a credit card can lead to impulse buying.
- an electrical impulse
- a nerve impulse [=a wave of electrical energy that is carried through the nerves to the brain]