- an idea or story that is believed by many people but that is not true
- It's an enduring/persistent myth that money brings happiness.
- The book dispels/refutes/debunks many myths about early American history. [=shows that many beliefs about early American history are wrong]
- I don't believe the myths and legends about/surrounding this forest.
- Contrary to popular myth, no monster lives in this lake.
- creation myths [=stories about how people and the world were first created]
- a student of Greek myth [=mythology]