- a device that directs a narrow, bright beam of light on a small area
- They aimed the spotlight at the center of the stage.
- A spotlight moved across the stage.
- The actor stood in the spotlight.
- performing under the spotlights
- a baseball star who hates the spotlight
- They're always in the spotlight.
- School violence is once again under the media spotlight. [=getting a lot of attention from the media]
- The news article turned/put the spotlight on the city's financial problems.
- to shine a spotlight on (someone or something)
- She was spotlighted as she sang her solo.
- a spotlit area
- The news spotlighted the city's financial problems.