- a usually sharp blade attached to a handle that is used for cutting or as a weapon
- Each dinner guest gets two forks, a knife, and a spoon.
- He pulled/drew a knife on me and threatened to stab me with it.
- The bill passed through the senate like a hot knife through butter.
- Any more cuts in government aid to these poor people will be twisting the knife in the wound.
- having a medical operation
- I'm going under the knife [=having surgery] tomorrow.
- He died after being knifed in the chest.
- ships knifing through the waves