- the soul of a dead person thought of as living in an unseen world or as appearing to living people
- The book is about the phantoms that are said to haunt the nation's cemeteries.
- The crisis is merely a phantom made up by the media.
- He spent years chasing the phantoms of fame and fortune.
- coming from or associated with the world of ghosts
- People claim to have seen a phantom ship floating on the lake.
- A number of ballots from phantom voters had to be thrown out.
- phantom fears
- phantom illnesses
- a phantom pregnancy [=a medical condition in which a woman believes that she is pregnant and can appear to be pregnant when she is not pregnant]