- a pin or shaft on which a mechanical part turns
- the action of turning around a point
- The quarterback made a quick pivot [=turn] and threw the ball to the running back.
- Their children had become the pivot around which their life turned.
- a position in which a player on offense faces away from the basket to pass to or assist other teammates trying to score
- Their center is a strong player in the pivot.
- The dancers pivoted on their toes and changed direction.
- The door hinge pivots around the pin.
- The quarterback pivoted and threw the ball to the running back.
- Our vacation plans will pivot around how much money we can save.
- The book's plot pivots on the main character's need for revenge.