- someone who does something without being forced to do it: such as
- a person who chooses to join the military
- a person who does work without getting paid to do it
- Volunteers are needed to help with the bake sale.
- The school was built by volunteers.
- I volunteered to do the job. = I volunteered for the job.
- Our son volunteered for military service.
- I volunteered my services.
- He would not volunteer any information about her whereabouts.
- I just found out that Mom volunteered me to babysit. [=that Mom said I would babysit without asking me if I wanted to]
- a volunteer army/organization
- volunteer work