- an animal (such as a dog, cat, bird, or fish) that people keep mainly for pleasure
- He caught a snake and kept it as a pet for several years.
- No pets (are) allowed.
- An orange cat named Alex was our first family pet. [=a pet kept by a family]
- pet food
- a pet store
- a pet dog/cat
- The mayor's pet project has been the construction of a new high school.
- I have my own pet [=favorite] theory about that.
- a politician's pet causes/issues
- My dog loves to be petted.
- to kiss and touch someone in a sexual way
- There was some heavy petting going on at the party.