- a hole in the ground for burying a dead body
- dig a grave
- The casket was lowered into the grave.
- He was buried in a shallow grave.
- We went to the cemetery to visit my aunt's grave. [=to visit the place where my aunt's body is buried]
- A headstone marks her son's grave.
- grave robbers [=people who dig up a buried body to steal the things that were buried with it]
- The company founder must be turning in his grave because of the changes we've made.
- This violation of school rules is a grave matter.
- His carelessness could have grave consequences.
- They have placed themselves in grave danger.
- I have grave doubts about this plan.
- suffering from a grave illness
- The judge issued his ruling with a grave expression.
- having the form `
- The French word père is written with a grave accent over the first e.